af_v3005009.jpg
af_v3076020.jpg af_v3076019.jpg af_v3076018.jpg af_v3076017.jpg af_v3076016.jpg af_v3076015.jpg af_v3076014.jpg
Chris Hornung
February 9, 2016
Maker Spotlight:
The History of Draper & Maynard
Page 3
Draper & Maynard's expansion plans also included new company marketing and branding. John Maynard's bird dog, Nicodemus ("Nick"), was added to the diamond D&M logo sometime between 1900 and 1905, and would help D&M become one of the most recognizable, iconic American brands of the twentieth century. Before Nick was given a new nickname by Babe Ruth in 1916, he was referred to as the Draper & Maynard "Pointer Trade-mark."

Nicodemus, the "Pointer"

af_v3076011.jpg
D&M's uniform division was founded in 1904. The company employed dozens of salesmen, armed with material samples, to criss-cross the country taking orders for D&M uniforms. The orders were shipped to Plymouth where workers cut fabric acquired from E. Dole & Company, another New Hampshire business, and tailor made uniforms based on player measurements.
Workers sewing footballs, Draper & Maynard Factory, Plymouth, N.H. circa 1905
Circa 1900-1910 Salesman's Uniform Sample, Lelands Auctions
The popularity of the D&M line of baseball goods helped the company build an impressive network of dealers across the country. While baseball gloves and balls would remain D&M's most popular products in the early twentieth century, the national exposure helped the company make significant inroads into the football, basketball, boxing, and hockey markets as well. In 1905, D&M reported an annual income in excess of $300,000, which would be equivalent to $8,000,000 in 2015. To meet the growing demand, by 1910 D&M added a north wing to the building, increasing the size of their Plymouth factory by 70%.

Further Expansion

Draper & Maynard Sporting Goods Advertisement, Circa 1905-1910. Image courtesy of Plymouth State University
Draper & Maynard Counter Display, Circa 1905-1910
courtesy Plymouth State University
Tragedy struck again on April 26, 1913 when D&M's patriarch, Jason Draper, died suddenly of a heart condition at the age of 63. The official cause of death was chronic interstitial nephritis and chronic arterio-sclerosis. Together, Jason Draper and John Maynard had transformed a one-room glove factory into one of the most successful sporting goods companies in the country. The two men were more than business partners, they were family. Draper's will reveals the level of affection he held for his brother-in-law. He left the Trinity Churchyard Association $500 to use for the perpetual care of burial lots for himself and John Maynard.
D&M Pointer Ad, Circa 1905-1915, courtesy Plymouth State University
D&M Ad, Circa 1905, courtesy Plymouth State University
On January 16, 1911, tragedy struck Draper & Maynard as the Plymouth factory was destroyed by fire on a frigid, windy night. The fire started in the north wing of the factory and quickly spread into the main building, the baseball factory, the packing room, and the clothing department buildings. The local fire companies, who didn't own an engine, were powerless to stop the blaze. When engines arrived from neighboring towns, they were useless as the water frozen inside the pump and hoses. The Draper & Maynard factory was a total loss, the the exception of the new electric power plant. Jason Draper and John Maynard were both in New York at a convention, but Treasurer Harry Huckins, with the help of Plymouth citizens, was able to save many patterns, raw materials, and orders ready for shipment before the warehouses were destroyed. The fire was a $200,000 casualty for Draper & Maynard and threatened to put over 200 employees out of work.

The following day, however, Draper and Maynard returned to Plymouth, and the company and town began to rise from the ashes. An old mattress factory was quickly converted into D&M's leather division. The uniform division moved into the old Town Hall and a creamery became the temporary home of D&M's baseball division. The company somehow continued to produce goods while rebuilding their factory.

Before the end of 1911, Draper & Maynard completed construction of a new 100,000 square foot, 4-story brick factory on the site of the old facility. The new factory contained more than double the manufacturing space of the previous facility and consolidated all of the company's divisions under one roof.

Tragedy Strikes

Boston Post Article, January 17, 1911
D&M Factory Illustration, D&M 1912 Summer & Spring Catalog
Jason Draper (left) and John Maynard (right), circa 1912. Photo courtesy of Mike Tinney
af_v3076003.jpg
D&M Ad, Circa 1905, courtesy Plymouth State University
af_v3076001.jpg